Roy Falls at Norris' gravesite

Roy Falls at Norris' gravesite

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Roy Falls' 1942 Letter to Brother Lloyd While They Were Both in World War II

CLICK TO ENLARGE
BELOW IS TYPED LETTER FOR EASIER READING

Dear Lloyd,

I received your letter the other day, I didn't answer sooner, because I presumed you would be gone.

The army is quite different, from civilian life, also much harder. There is one thing to remember in particular, that is to get along with all the officers. It's hard to do what they say at all times, but you know as well as I do that we're living in the last days, so we know it won't last long. You'll be taking orders as long as you're here, but it won't be so bad later on. You may not agree with everything they do, but they're in command, so I believe the thing to do is always do the right thing. Of course you'll never be compelled to do anything wrong, so stay on the good side of them.

If I were you I'd try and get out of the infantry. Almost anything would be better. I was telling you about the officer's school. Don't know whether or not you've heard anything about it or not. I suppose you've had different offers to get into, the only thing I know to do is to please yourself, for after all it's all about the same, the sooner I get out, the better I'll like it. You are good in math, therefore take advantage of any opportunity, because we're here till it's over with. I don't know how you feel, but I don't think we'll ever be back, like it was before. That is why I'm not thinking of this war or anything in the world so much, but rather to the next (heaven). I know you'll have to go through much criticizing and mocking, I've had the same, but I can feel the Lord's presence now, more than ever before. I can truthfully say I've done the best I can, therefore I'll believe the promise of his presence and grace to the end.

I guess I'll be leaving in a few days, but write me when you can. Don't know where. But I'm sure to be in action before very long. I've been raisied to 30 dollars. I don't know of any advice to give you, but if there is anything I could tell you, write me. Look out for yourself, for you know, that the world is cold, and cares not for the next man. But there are plenty boys in the army, who'll be your friend, so long as you're a friend to them. If you need any money let me know, I'm beginning to get ahead, so write me if you need it. I don't spend very much money, only for neccessities. I've taken $10,000 insurance, if you could afford it, it would be a good thing.

How do you like the routine by now? Have you had trouble getting clothes to fit, I did, but they fixed them.

All the rough sargents are bluffs. Hope you'll find all good officers, if you don't, they don't mean a thing anyway. It's not the stripes or bars on their shoulder that counts, but the men wearing them. Hope you can be in California, I might be able to see you before I go off. Write soon.

Love, Roy
Find enclosed some stamps.
February 26, 1942

No comments:

Post a Comment